The work in the Ballistics Divison involves the identification and comparison of Firearms, ammunation and parts therof. The work also includes examination of target materials. The exhibits include standard small arms and ammunation of various make and calibre, homemade/improvised firearms and ammunition, bullets, pellets, wads, propellant, cartridge cases and the appliances used for the manufacture of firearm ammunition.
Types of Exhibits undertaken for examination/analysis:
1. Firearms (including airguns/toy guns), ammunition and parts thereof.
2. Manufacturing tools for firearms and ammunition.
3. Victim's/accused's apparel.
4. Swabbing or lifting from body parts of suspects shooter/victim.
5. Parts of skin, bones, hair and other body parts affected by shooting.
6. Inanimate object(s) affected by shooting.
7. Unburnt/partially burnt powder charge.
8. Crime scene examination.
9. Post-mortem/injury reports and related X-ray plates.